Coronavirus

I think the fact that yesterday I read in the news that Bojo was thinking of having it live on telly - well that just says it all! Almost like well if I’m having it it’s safe (and yeah really I’m sure they would use him as a Guinea pig NOT!). The fact that they are worried people won’t want it speaks volumes to me.

I read an article on whether safety had been compromised producing these vaccines so quickly, and the gist of it was that the vaccine bases were already being developed for other viruses and they switched it to covid, so in essence a fair bit of the ground work was already in place.

Temperature wise there is a problem in that it's only really practical to role it out for large scale vaccination sites although it's ok to spend the last 48 hours in cold but not super cold storage and obviously it won't be administered at those temperatures! But it does wreck the idea of taking it round care homes or delivering to GPs for use. Hopefully the Oxford vaccine won't be far behind.

• Wow
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Thanks @Huggy I’ve also read about the safety of it, the reasons it’s been rolled out so quickly is because every country has pumped huge amounts of cash and resources into it and they have been running trials at double time, as in the final stage of testing was running at the same time as the second test stage, or something like that.
Ill have it if I can (already been told I can’t have live vaccine) and take my chances, the side effects I’ve read about say you may get a sore arm for a day or so and you may get a headache, just like you would with any other vaccine.
For me the risk of dying from Covid is massive in comparison, it will also mean I can hug my children again, that one single thing is a huge issue for me, I’ll be able to go shopping for basics without fear, I’ll be able to walk or run around my local park without trying to dodge people and end up running on the road to avoid those who can’t figure out what two metres looks like.
I do understand the worry about the vaccine though, I guess it depends on your own personal risk assessment.
My worry is for those who can’t have it, such as CEV children who’s parents are praying that most people will have the vaccine to enable them to be able to have some kind of normal life again. It really is a horrible situation for everyone.

Yes its a bit like the poor soliders going to war. Have this immunisation to cover you for this.
Now further down the line. Quite a few soliders who have gone on to have families, have children with disabilities in various forms. Does make you wonder whether the vaccinations that they were given had anything to do with it. Many believe they have caused the problems.

This covid vaccine could have similar effects. We just dont know.

I think there are things we are not being told. Have now we will deal with the issues later.

Yes that could happen.

Plus there are several up and coming.

Some may be better than others or suit different people better .

Omg a $1000.00 bail it should be A MILLION

A couple in San Francisco tested positive told to ISOLATE

They flew home to Hawaii ANYWAY KNOWING THEY ARE POSITIVE.

They were arrested in Hawaii but only charged $ 1000.00 bail.
They should have had a bail they could not make or bettet NO BAIL

They proved flying positive they cant be trusted to ISOLATE.

United is deciding if they will be put on a list to never be allowed to fly United again.

They should be banned from all airlines.
And public ships..
Take a rowboat and start rowing if you want to leave Hawaii again..

The scary thing is how much of this goes on no one knows about.

Reactions: Trewsers
I really would have one, if the scientists could be just a little more positive about it. I also think that by January/ February, there will be other vaccines available, though whether they will be any safer/as safe, who knows? As far as you are concerned, kiterider, I'd do exactly the same in your position.

Don't forget the vaccine is only appearing to offer 95% protection. So there will still be deaths sadly even with a full vaccination programme. Out of almost 22,000 people that took part in the 2nd trial none had serious side effects, definitely no one died. If 22,000 people get covid how many could die? Even a death rate of 1% is alot higher than the vaccine is potentially giving us.

I'll get the vaccine if it's offered, I'm very low down the list I realise. The worry for me is that if my nan gets it, I then go and visit her I could still give it to her. Lower risk I realise but 95% still isn't completely reassuring

95% is high for a vaccine though, for example the flu vaccine generally offers between 40% and 60% protection yet is still considered worth having by many people.

Reactions: MrA
I don't think it has been rushed - it just goes to show how SLOW we are at developing vaccines - fighting for funding for testing, getting people to volunteer as test subjects and the sheer inefficiency in the whole system - when it gets life threatening suddenly the machine wakes up and works!

We should be asking how come it is so inefficient, not how safe is the vaccine. I will certainly get it when I qualify.

95% or even less than that is good - as long as it reduces the numbers of people transmitting the virus - that is the key.

These are the idiots that make our life so restricted - outside Harrods in London - and the police only fined ONE person for breaking covid regulations....

harrods.jpg

Last edited:
@fourlegs unless you took that photo yourself I wouldn't be sure the situation was as bad as it looks, there have been quite a few cases where photographers have used lenses and angles to make a situation look very different than it actually is.

Re the vaccine I totally agree with you, and the sooner I can get vaccinated the happier I will be.

I guess the first person to get vaccinated was a 90 year old woman.
The article did not say much.

Has anything been said about people being asymptomatic and getting the vaccine?
Do people have to get tested first??

Nothing at all has been mentioned about any of that here.

Everyone in the UK will get the chance to be vaccinated and it is free. Its is beung done by priority groups, so its over 80s, care home workers and health workers first I think.

Im number four in the queue after care homes, nhs staff and the over 70’s and I cannot wait to get it. I know it’s not a magic bullet but it’s got to be better than living like we are now.

Reactions: PePo
newrider.com