New Forest Pony owners

Hi,

I have an unregistered 2yrs New Forest gelding, who is bright bay. He is currently up for sale though :( Love him to bits but i have another horse and my children show no interest so going to waste. Lovely cheeky chap though and great fun. Will be sorely missed when i find a buyer.

Picture is of him as a yearling.

Good luck with finding him a new home :)

Looks lovely to me, keep us posted what he was like :)

Thanks for looking. Yes I'll keep you posted...

Anyone got any thougts on reasonable prices for a nice Newforest pony? I've been looking at Icelandics so Newforests seem very reasonable in comparison, but I've also seen Section C/D ponies for a lot less who look pretty good (on paper at least) and the Newforest I'm viewing has got sweetitch. ('Mild' according to the owner)

My Dolly is New Copse Dolly Mixture, out of an unregistered mare named Toffee by Sway Supreme Beauty. My little yearling Kai's mum is believed to be New Forest but I don't know her breeding. New Forests rock!

Do you happen to know what 'Toffee' looked like? Phantom's dam in an unreg. forest mare called Toffee too!

oops forgot to say the rest!

Phantom is a reg. part bred New Forest, sire was Waterford Lando, dam was Toffee, as mentioned above.

I think he's 13.3hh or 14hh (terrified of the measuring stick), and he's 15 this month, i've had him since he was a yearling :D He is a great jumper (not that i've done much on him, wimp) and he moves lovely, he's a very sensitive soul and is prone to getting fat on thin air (hence his nickname, chunk)! He has a lazy streak too and pretends he doesn't understand/has an itchy leg/has a cough to stop working! Love him to bits, would definately get another.

july07hunk2.jpg

meandp.jpg

Daddy, Waterford Lando (old in this pic)
waterfordlando.jpg

Phantom and Toffee
phantomandtoffee-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. Yes I'll keep you posted...

Anyone got any thougts on reasonable prices for a nice Newforest pony? I've been looking at Icelandics so Newforests seem very reasonable in comparison, but I've also seen Section C/D ponies for a lot less who look pretty good (on paper at least) and the Newforest I'm viewing has got sweetitch. ('Mild' according to the owner)

I paid £3125 nearly two years ago for my forester who was backed and ridden away and had basic schooling and jumping he was just turned 5. However he did come 2nd two years in a row in his age group at the breed show and has very nice breeding.

Prices will depend on what the pony has done, age, soundness, breeding so anything from £1500 upwards really for a pony that has been backed.

Just come back from seeing the pony.

I was surprised by how fine he was - I thought he'd be a bit chunkier - and he had a very bouncy trot/canter. Not sure about that for endurance but I'm used to cobs and 16hh eventer types so maybe that's how all ponies feel???

He didn't put a hoof wrong though. He was nice and light and responsive and very forward but with good brakes. He was totally sweet and soft on the ground and appears to have lovely manners. He jumped very well.

So the big decision is looming (gulp). To put in an offer? And if so, how much for? He is unregistered and sire & dam are unknown though they assure me he is pure-bred. Not that that bothers me, but I guess it affects his value? And he has 'very mild' sweetitch , though there was no evidence of it today.

Or do I switch breed allegiance again and go for a chunkier horse or pony. How on earth does anyone ever decide who to buy!!! It's such a huge decision....:eek:

Foresters come in two sorts chunky and sporty - mine is chunky :D

There is no way that they can say a pony is pure bred without knowing who the parents are - they can only make a guess based on what the pony looks like.

As for price hard to say - good registered pony is going to be more expensive than a good unregistered - and you won't be able to show at affiliated M&M classes if pony is not registered.

However a good unregistered pony is going to be more expensive than a bad registered one!

Mine is unregistered and i don't know who his Dam or Sire is but can guarantee he is pure bred as he came direct from the forest. Just the people who sold him didn't bother to register him.

I also have the chunky type and at 2yrs already proving to be quite a big lad :D.

Just come back from seeing the pony.

I was surprised by how fine he was - I thought he'd be a bit chunkier - and he had a very bouncy trot/canter. Not sure about that for endurance but I'm used to cobs and 16hh eventer types so maybe that's how all ponies feel???

He didn't put a hoof wrong though. He was nice and light and responsive and very forward but with good brakes. He was totally sweet and soft on the ground and appears to have lovely manners. He jumped very well.

So the big decision is looming (gulp). To put in an offer? And if so, how much for? He is unregistered and sire & dam are unknown though they assure me he is pure-bred. Not that that bothers me, but I guess it affects his value? And he has 'very mild' sweetitch , though there was no evidence of it today.

Or do I switch breed allegiance again and go for a chunkier horse or pony. How on earth does anyone ever decide who to buy!!! It's such a huge decision....:eek:

i paid nowhere near that asking price for my 5 year old fully reg forest bred boy out of lovelyhill high-jack! :|

and i went from chunky cob types to a new forest...you get used to it!

Mine is unregistered and i don't know who his Dam or Sire is but can guarantee he is pure bred as he came direct from the forest. Just the people who sold him didn't bother to register him.

I also have the chunky type and at 2yrs already proving to be quite a big lad :D.

No, i'm sorry but Phantom was born and bred on the forest and is only eligible to be registered as part bred, as his dam is an unreg. forest pony. You have to have both parents fully registered and know who they are to call your pony pure bred :(

Not that it matters, unless you're going to show!

I was used to biggies before I got my girl who's in between widths depending on her grass intake :rolleyes: the different feeling trot is normal and trust me you actually get used to it, I now find a lot of big horses rather lumbering.

Re sweet itch being mild, if it is that mild it's not evident I would get the vet at vetting to check for conformation but it could well be the normal irritation many get, mine scruffs her tail and belly but doesn't have sweet itch.

Re being unregistered that is only an issue for you if you want to compete at high level showing? Only you can answer that ;)

Price again depends on what the pony has done, based on his ad he's quite acomplished and the fact you have come back and confirmed good breaks etc I would be quite comfortable with a good offer on his price.

There are foresters you can pay less for but there is often a compromise somewhere, age, no comp record, slightly rough manners etc no horse is ever 100% perfect you either click or you don't? Again only one you can answer.

When I bought my girl, I was undecided and someone online said to me, imagine you called tomorrow to find out the pony had just been sold and you could not have them, would that upset you? For me I would have been gutted so told them over the phone I would have her and arranged collection asap :p

Still have her 6yrs later and don't regret it for an instant!

OMG what a brilliant way of deciding. If Charlie was sold to someone else I would be really upset.... And also thanks for the reassurance about the bounciness. It just felt weird having this little bouncy, whizzy thing under me, compared to my usual solid mass!

I'm putting in an offer. Just need to decide whether to just offer the asking price or go a bit under.... Not bothered about showing - I like ODE and endurance.

Fingers crossed - and if I get him I'll post some pics....

OMG what a brilliant way of deciding. If Charlie was sold to someone else I would be really upset.... And also thanks for the reassurance about the bounciness. It just felt weird having this little bouncy, whizzy thing under me, compared to my usual solid mass!

I'm putting in an offer. Just need to decide whether to just offer the asking price or go a bit under.... Not bothered about showing - I like ODE and endurance.

Fingers crossed - and if I get him I'll post some pics....

Oh excellent, keep us posted with how it goes.

Im a smitten New Forest lover now what a beautiful breed. BTW I drove through the New Forest on Saturday and Sunday as we were going to Bournemouth. It is a stunning place would love to move to the NF. It was great seeing the horses roaming free and also the mares with foals at foot :)

No, i'm sorry but Phantom was born and bred on the forest and is only eligible to be registered as part bred, as his dam is an unreg. forest pony. You have to have both parents fully registered and know who they are to call your pony pure bred :(

Not that it matters, unless you're going to show!

I have no intention of showing, no matter i still love him! :D

newrider.com