The heatwave

@Frances144 thank you so much ā˜ŗļø I used you tip today in 34 degrees heat, dunked a towel in the water trough and threw it round my neck and over my shoulders! What a difference, so much so I went and got another one and put it on my head, which made me giggle as it reminded me of playing a shepherd in the school nativity play as a child.
Anyway, I shall be eternally grateful for your suggestion - thank you.

My husband bought me a thing called a Cold Towel yesterday. He said it was to help with poo picking! It's just a strip of microfibre cloth like a short scarf, very absorbent. You wet it in cold water and then wrap it around your head, drape it round your neck or whatever. It's bloody brilliant and when wrapped around my head seems to give my dermatitis some relief as well. If you tie it at the back of your head, the ends drape over your neck and provide an extra cooling effect.

I am sure you could improvise with a cotton scarf but I am thrilled with this present.

We were going to the Peebles Show today, going to be 27-28 degrees, It's a big open field no shade anywhere, total sun trap. Ground will be like concrete. So no way going to drive Buddy all that way in the heat to trot on ground like that in the heat. Shampooed him yesterday, looking good, last show of the season got to 1 out of 5

298329491_5675480055835613_7892205742328541949_n.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy
Everytime i look at the rain chart for next week it changes. One minute thunderstorms and 10mm of rain, next minute its 0.3 rain. They really want to make there minds up. At least we will get a bit of heat relief. Albeit not much.

It is so hot here in London that we havent been walking over the weekend, let alone riding. We have a tiny, paved garden but years ago I put in a micro watering system to water the pots when we were away in USA, so I can avoid using the hose. And use a watering can for the tomatos which love the sun and are doing very well. I have courgettes growing in plastic tubs and they are thriving too.

It's been around 27 here saturday and sunday, spent all day out on the swing under a tree, in the semi shade and even then it was warm. Dogs not been walked for days, they are just loafing around the garden and sleeping on the concrete patio in the shade. Horses and donkeys ambling around, have shade at the stables and can go out if they want none of them sweated up. the 2 donkeys in the other field have a bit of hard standing under a huge tree so plenty of shade there. Had some rain over night and heavy rain and thunder expected later today and all day ttomorrow.

Well thinking it was cooler I rode after 5 days off - it may have been cooler but it was so close and muggy that as soon as we started doing anything it didn't feel much better. And the rain we were forecast has now vanished :(

I was expecting rain today, thatā€™s totally gone. Maybe a little tomorrow if we are lucky but then still no more at all in the foreseeable future.
My horses are sick of soaked hay and Iā€™m sick of soaking hay!

Horrible storm last night. I thought it was going to pass us by and had turned out, but once I was in bed it started. Robin was still out. By that time I had taken my meds and so couldnā€™t drive. I woke every hour to more awful sounding storm. Raced up this morning and he was off up the field quite happy! Rain sheet had held out well.

Itā€™s not stopped raining today which I am really happy about. Heavy rain again tonight so he can come in.

newrider.com