The heatwave

Well i managed my plan. Got up at 4.30 this morning. Went out at 5.30 pulling ragwort. I was actually cold and put my coat on. By 6 it was off and by 8 i was in a tshirt. Chucked buckets of water over the boys while i was out there. By 9 it was getting to hot and i was getting a headache in the sun. I called it quits as i had agree to go help a friend get his hay in that got baled last night. Fortunately i was working in the shade.
Now im relaxing in my bed with the fan blowing lovely cool air on me. Shall catch on sleep shortly. Then get up and go out about 8pm for evening chores.

Hopefully get up at 4.30 again tomorrow, for more ragworting.

I find this all very strange. An ambient 12 degrees today with some drizzle. Shetland has had a particularly crap summer this year. I usually slather on the sunscreen far more often on the pink noseys but not really this year. The grass is growing like Topsy but there is little warmth.

So, yes I do feel for you but I don't really understand because as part of the UK, when they are all gushing about the hottest day of the year, we have just lit the fire for the evening and wondering if it will ever warm up!

Sorry, but there it is.

There's never a happy medium, is there? I don't really want it that cool but it would be nice if the grass wasn't brown in the fields.

My car was reading 29 at 5pm which was higher than forecast. Luka seems fine, I'm not a happy bunny!

I tried to make my post but the first bucket I used was too big 😂 hopefully it'll set overnight in the smaller bucket. I'm not sure he will even go near it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
The temp today when I went up to see her was a comfortable 78 with 40% humidity. Two empty water buckets and two full.
I think the birds are using the one in the shade, just wish they would stop pooping in ALL the buckets!!!
I think you are meant to add air temp to humidity which was118.
(side note, maybe they should teach this in schools, it's a bit late getting to an adult and not knowing!)
But then I grew up when suncream was for going on holiday abroad, it's only recently imo been something you should use.
However by this point we had some clouds and a teeny breeze. So I took her out for a walk for 45 minutes.

Part of the cliff caught fire in the next village, you can see the smoke in the background.
Likely from a BBQ not put out properly.

_20220716_224521.JPG_20220716_224951.JPG

Tomorrow we are meant to be 27 and Monday 31
So already lower than the rest of you.

Is it possible to get the roof of your shelter insulated? My barn roof and my overhang are both insulated; you’d be surprised at the amount of heat it holds back, not to mention sound reduction when it rains🤠

If you’re home during the day, you could also hose them down part way. Legs, chest, forearms, the nether areas. Not the whole horse in the middle of the day, just the pulse areas.

Make sure they have hay and plenty of clean water that is cool. If you aren't able to move the tubs out of the sun, change it between 2-4 in the afternoon as that’s about the time the sun makes it too hot to drink::
Thank you for this suggestion, it's got a thin layer of felt currently but I would love to add something else to help! Can you let me know what you would use please?

Reactions: Lollykay
I plan after this crazy hot spell to improve my field shelter to try and make that a bit cooler it gives him shade around the outside of it most the day anyway. I'm going to use the shade netting on the side the sun comes through which will also help block the rain in winter! And give insulating it better a go

Reactions: Kite_Rider
The temp today when I went up to see her was a comfortable 78 with 40% humidity. Two empty water buckets and two full.
I think the birds are using the one in the shade, just wish they would stop pooping in ALL the buckets!!!
I think you are meant to add air temp to humidity which was118.
(side note, maybe they should teach this in schools, it's a bit late getting to an adult and not knowing!)
But then I grew up when suncream was for going on holiday abroad, it's only recently imo been something you should use.
However by this point we had some clouds and a teeny breeze. So I took her out for a walk for 45 minutes.

Part of the cliff caught fire in the next village, you can see the smoke in the background.
Likely from a BBQ not put out properly.

View attachment 112988View attachment 112989

Tomorrow we are meant to be 27 and Monday 31
So already lower than the rest of you.
Wonderful photos. My birds put slugs and worms in my buckets too, think they drop them whilst trying to soften them up with water

@newforest I grew up when sunscreen was for holidays too, I remember getting sunburned and actually being quite pleased 😳
Now I use sunscreen on my face every single day even in winter.

Currently it's 25 so less than predicted.
How are you guys doing today.

@Ale I wondered why I end up with worms at the bottom. I would have thought they were soft already?
Knowing my luck they are washing them first. 😂

I got up at 4am again and did more ragworting till 9.30. It was starting to get a bit warm then. Done a few more jobs and now chilling in front of the fan. Shall barely venture outside till it cools off again this evening.

I took the rugs off the boys last night and washed them overnight. Chunky had sweated a bit yesterday. I need to put a light sheet on chunky though to protect is bald patch where his man hs fallen out. Unfortunately i still havent repaired them from last year so a bit of needlework is about to be done. So i can get something on him before the skin gets sunburnt. Slapped a load of sudocrem on for now.

This is the ten day forecast for my area - notice
Thank you for this suggestion, it's got a thin layer of felt currently but I would love to add something else to help! Can you let me know what you would use please?

Here’s a decent article that discusses the “R-value” of insulation:)

You want something that will do the job for your climate conditions. The insulation generally comes in rolls but I THINK it can also be bought in panels, which would make it much easier to install if you have to do it yourself:)

If you have a building supply place nearby, hopefully they have knowledgeable employees that could help you<—- I say that after the two men on the Back Counter at my local Farm Co-op retired and the new help are young girls who say “let me google that for you”🤯🤯. My terse reply is “I can google it myself” (and I silently add “you idiot”)🤐🤐

The insulation is worth every penny. What was Installed on the barn ceiling 19 years ago is still doing its job. What was installed on the overhang roof 19 years ago has slowly been blown off by the tremendous wind storms we experience. Most of it now needs replaced but everyone wants to remove the roof and redo it with rolled insulation.

I believe insulation panels would be just as efficient. If I were still physically capable I would install the panels myself, just to prove a point, but I can barely man handle an 8’ step ladder these days, much less the extension ladder :(

Anyway I hope this link is helpful🤠🤠

Reactions: MrA
No heat wave here thankfully. Just ruddy horse flies. Got bitten through my jeans this morning. Honestly, how can it be jumper weather and full of dam flies?!
Stay cool folks. Sending cooling breezes to you all.

newrider.com