The heatwave

Sid and I went out just before 8 this morning after a lovely cool night (it was 10 degrees when I got up at 6) and it was comfortable for both of us, he didn't sweat even under my bottom.

Bareback is the way forward in a heatwave. I have spoken.

Sid and I went out just before 8 this morning after a lovely cool night (it was 10 degrees when I got up at 6) and it was comfortable for both of us, he didn't sweat even under my bottom.

Bareback is the way forward in a heatwave. I have spoken.
Lucky lady, we had 21 degrees at 6.30 this morning šŸ˜• not going to be any riding for us here until at least Wednesday, itā€™s currently 30.9 degrees in the shade according to my weather station. Iā€™m really not looking forward to tomorrow and Tuesday.

We got 28 in the end. I had done my chores.

Interestingly it was cooler in the sun with the breeze than it was in the shade without.

They keep showing red parts of the country are you any of you in that zone, we are Amber thankfully.

We've had no heat. Just midges. And flies. Hundreds of 'em. I'm bitten senseless. Leg has a lump. Head has several. Even my earlobe's been got at. Honestly, wouldn't mind if it had been a good day for weather but it's been dull mostly. Argh. Grumble over. Hope you are all managing the heat okay.

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
At 5.30pm it was 28c at the yard. Luka was stood in full sun in his fly rug (with half a Shetland under him, as you do) and under his rug he was no warmer than normal.

@Trewsers, can you use insect repellant? I absolutely depend on it when holidaying abroad. As I (and one of my grand daugt=ters) get badly bitten.

Today OH and I walked roughly 9-11 a.m. on a shady path and before it got hot. Then invited our neighbour for a last Sunday lunch before she leaves on holiday. Two friends / in laws my own age have died in the last two weeks so life is sad . But since our trip to polo went well and we stayed in a hotel and ate out without catching covid, may be I will get a bit braver and book something for September.

• Sad
We got 28 in the end. I had done my chores.

Interestingly it was cooler in the sun with the breeze than it was in the shade without.

They keep showing red parts of the country are you any of you in that zone, we are Amber thankfully.
Yup Iā€™m in itā€¦. We ended up with 32 degrees at 5.00 pm today, tomorrow is now set to be 37 with 39 on Wednesday, our night time low for Monday night is 30!

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
@Trewsers, can you use insect repellant? I absolutely depend on it when holidaying abroad. As I (and one of my grand daugt=ters) get badly bitten.

Today OH and I walked roughly 9-11 a.m. on a shady path and before it got hot. Then invited our neighbour for a last Sunday lunch before she leaves on holiday. Two friends / in laws my own age have died in the last two weeks so life is sad . But since our trip to polo went well and we stayed in a hotel and ate out without catching covid, may be I will get a bit braver and book something for September.
Sorry about your friends Skib.

Reactions: Skib
We've had no heat. Just midges. And flies. Hundreds of 'em. I'm bitten senseless. Leg has a lump. Head has several. Even my earlobe's been got at. Honestly, wouldn't mind if it had been a good day for weather but it's been dull mostly. Argh. Grumble over. Hope you are all managing the heat okay.
Little beasties! You must have very tasty blood Trewsers.

• Haha
If it's any saving grace it is forecast to be quiet breezy! Ale was standing in the full sun too but he wasn't sweating at all so maybe he will be okay. We are fully prepped for some heat stroke animals at the vets, really hoping we won't get anymore though šŸ¤ž

It got up to 30 here today but not for very long. Now it's 17.5 outside (23 inside, gah). We are lucky to be up in the hills where it is cooler and we get more breeze. Also no groups of buildings near our little line of bungalows.

Hereā€™s a decent article that discusses the ā€œR-valueā€ of insulation:)

You want something that will do the job for your climate conditions. The insulation generally comes in rolls but I THINK it can also be bought in panels, which would make it much easier to install if you have to do it yourself:)

If you have a building supply place nearby, hopefully they have knowledgeable employees that could help you<ā€”- I say that after the two men on the Back Counter at my local Farm Co-op retired and the new help are young girls who say ā€œlet me google that for youā€šŸ¤ÆšŸ¤Æ. My terse reply is ā€œI can google it myselfā€ (and I silently add ā€œyou idiotā€)šŸ¤šŸ¤

The insulation is worth every penny. What was Installed on the barn ceiling 19 years ago is still doing its job. What was installed on the overhang roof 19 years ago has slowly been blown off by the tremendous wind storms we experience. Most of it now needs replaced but everyone wants to remove the roof and redo it with rolled insulation.

I believe insulation panels would be just as efficient. If I were still physically capable I would install the panels myself, just to prove a point, but I can barely man handle an 8ā€™ step ladder these days, much less the extension ladder :(

Anyway I hope this link is helpfulšŸ¤ šŸ¤ 
Really helpful thank you for taking the time to give me all the info!

• Love
Reactions: Lollykay
I don't think it's going to be very breezy šŸ˜” worried about Ale but what else can I do, can't force him to stand in the shade and the stables are hotter. I won't be back down the yard until gone 8pm later as working

Yeah, I've just ordered some Smidge. Lol by the time it arrives most likely the flies will be gone, but it's done now. Last night I was kept awake with an itchy thumb of all things! So bizarre. Something had gotten me, I suspect rabbit fleas from Amber my semi tame feral that loves to make a fuss of me, but lives off rabbits for weeks at a time!

• Wow
Yeah, I've just ordered some Smidge. Lol by the time it arrives most likely the flies will be gone, but it's done now. Last night I was kept awake with an itchy thumb of all things! So bizarre. Something had gotten me, I suspect rabbit fleas from Amber my semi tame feral that loves to make a fuss of me, but lives off rabbits for weeks at a time!
I love Smidge, it smells gorgeous and it works, Belle gets it on her boobs and ears too.

newrider.com