March chat

CT scan showed the op site good, joins holding fine, nothing wrong there, he is somewhat bunged up so is now having the full colic experience at both ends.....I left at that point

1000020735.jpg
Actually got something to report today - a different view. Joe was leading, I was sat on top with strict instructions not to do anything other than pat AJ and let him know I was there. Apparently it's really worrying when you go quiet first time up and AJ is a worrier at the best of times.

He feels very similar to Raf in terms of size and shape so at least I don't have to get used to something different in that respect!

View attachment 121894
Actually got something to report today - a different view. Joe was leading, I was sat on top with strict instructions not to do anything other than pat AJ and let him know I was there. Apparently it's really worrying when you go quiet first time up and AJ is a worrier at the best of times.

He feels very similar to Raf in terms of size and shape so at least I don't have to get used to something different in that respect!
Love this update, how exciting for you to be progressing to the backing part.
I still love his colour.

Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy
He has a nasal/gastric tube in which isn't very nice and he spent most of the night on the loo on Wednesday night. Yesterday hey then shipped him out of ICU to a ward where he is in 4 bed room with loo across the ward and he has had two enemas today plus major manual intervention by the surgeon and you can guess the rest. When I went to see him he actually rang ICU to say that he really wasn't coping well and was distressed. So got a supercilious junior doctor with the empathy of a gnat give us a lecture - wish she was on strike as she couldn't even turn off the machine which had been bleeping for an hour every 20 seconds as the drip wasn't attached as he had to keep getting up to drag himself to the loo. The noise wasdriving everyone nuts. He had asked for a commode but none arrived, terrified he will fall and have a fracture as he is 79 and a bit unsteady and there is very limited space around the best. He is used to using a stick not a zimemer. What with having a tube down his nose, very upset gut and the runs, he is feeling utterly and the ward is noisy so no chance of sleeping.So welcome to the dark side of the NHS. I am utterly disgusted, he was talking to her logically saying that he felt he had come out of ICU too soon and needed another day to get a little better, and I completely agree as he will get no bloody sleep there and if he has to soil himself again waiting for the toilet to be free it is pretty bad care. And if he has to spend hours in there where are the other folks meant to go. Total bloody madhouse. Surgeon did a very good job, after care total crap

I had much the same. Even though daughter is a consultant in the same hospital. But staying immobile in ICU is not the answer. One must sit in a chair if possible and move about post op however difficult as it reduces the chance of blood clots. It took me weeks to feel better.

Love this update, how exciting for you to be progressing to the backing part.
I still love his colour.
Thanks, I love it too - so practical. You only know how dirty he is when you pat him and get enveloped in a cloud of choking dust. I hope I've got a few years before I have to start scrubbing to get rid of the stains 🤣

Thanks, I love it too - so practical. You only know how dirty he is when you pat him and get enveloped in a cloud of choking dust. I hope I've got a few years before I have to start scrubbing to get rid of the stains 🤣
Mine rolled and shook and I was down wind. Made me cough. 😂

He has a nasal/gastric tube in which isn't very nice and he spent most of the night on the loo on Wednesday night. Yesterday hey then shipped him out of ICU to a ward where he is in 4 bed room with loo across the ward and he has had two enemas today plus major manual intervention by the surgeon and you can guess the rest. When I went to see him he actually rang ICU to say that he really wasn't coping well and was distressed. So got a supercilious junior doctor with the empathy of a gnat give us a lecture - wish she was on strike as she couldn't even turn off the machine which had been bleeping for an hour every 20 seconds as the drip wasn't attached as he had to keep getting up to drag himself to the loo. The noise wasdriving everyone nuts. He had asked for a commode but none arrived, terrified he will fall and have a fracture as he is 79 and a bit unsteady and there is very limited space around the best. He is used to using a stick not a zimemer. What with having a tube down his nose, very upset gut and the runs, he is feeling utterly and the ward is noisy so no chance of sleeping.So welcome to the dark side of the NHS. I am utterly disgusted, he was talking to her logically saying that he felt he had come out of ICU too soon and needed another day to get a little better, and I completely agree as he will get no bloody sleep there and if he has to soil himself again waiting for the toilet to be free it is pretty bad care. And if he has to spend hours in there where are the other folks meant to go. Total bloody madhouse. Surgeon did a very good job, after care total crap
Awful for him - as you say, brilliant with the surgery, then all undone with the aftercare - not what either of you need.

Awful for him - as you say, brilliant with the surgery, then all undone with the aftercare - not what either of you need.
It would appear that our call to Intensive Care requesting he go back there has rattled some cages. The McMillan nurse was there today and was much more practical and annoyed that he had been so distressed. He now has a commode, had a couple of accidents during the night....seen about 7 folks today so his care has been upped. still on water only and waiting for his gut to wake up and stop sulking.

Thinking of you both. It is very stressful all round.

At least they gave him an enema. They never did with my mum despite her telling them she hadn't been for a week and was in discomfort. They just discharged her from hospital and left me to deal with it. In the end the district nurse they sent to change her leg dressing had to step in and i had to pick up the peices after that. It was so unfair on the district nurse and myself and should have been dealt with before ever being discharged.

Thinking of you both. It is very stressful all round.

At least they gave him an enema. They never did with my mum despite her telling them she hadn't been for a week and was in discomfort. They just discharged her from hospital and left me to deal with it. In the end the district nurse they sent to change her leg dressing had to step in and i had to pick up the peices after that. It was so unfair on the district nurse and myself and should have been dealt with before ever being discharged.
he has now had 3 and a physical intervention from the surgeon. Essentially gut shut down gone to sleep and can take days for it to start up again. Not sure why they didn't give the meds they do before a colonoscopy where you have to take 2 kinds of drinks which taste yuck and then spend 24 hours on the loo

The daffodils in my garden may be reluctant to bloom (and I don’t blame them, the weather we have been having), but I have now had a sign that Spring might be on its way - Grace has started to shed her winter coat! The others are still holding on to theirs. Wubby will probably be next, then Fraser. Rody normally gets his full summer coat by the end of June, then starts developing his winter one again in August.
Lulu is an unknown quantity of course. I anticipate sleek and shiny - fingers crossed.

Hogan's coat is coming out by the handful! Has been for a week or so. Never mind, hoping he'll be smooth and glossy by early April ☺️

I told myself i was going to clip chunky once we got to march so i didnt have to deal with the moult. Hes coming out in handfuls but its been too cold to shampoo him so i could clip. In fact he still has a thick rug on and his lightweight over the top. Really over rugged but since Frances posted about needing a rug for hers, it gave me the idea to stick my ¾ neck underneath his lightweight to see if it stopped rug rubs where he was getting pressure sores. The problem is the thick rug isnt waterproof and its just too cold for an old man to just be in the lightweight currently.

I saw some violets out today, now I believe spring isn't far away :) . It was so nice I put Luka out naked, his clip has grown back to the point where it looks and feels like a summer coat so I thought it would be nice for him to get some sun and mud on his back.

Reactions: Huggy
Even though I attacked Dan with the clippers last week I only took off the long hair, now he’s shedding the rest by the bucketful! The other 3 are shedding too, but nothing like Dan does.

Reactions: Huggy
Two weeks today till clock change. Light till 8pm. I look forward to it.
How soon before we see the ground cracking, dusty brown scorched pasture. A little way off currently it feels.
It has rained here the entire night. The playing field has large puddles, actually lakes. Just hope they dont have a rugby match on later. Not sure id fancy the clothes washing. :eek::eek:

Reactions: Jessey
Harrison poodle is now cone poodle after surgery on both eyes. Long day down at Penrith. Millie poodle and I had a walk at Ullswater then chilled out for the rest of the long wait for cone poodle in a b&b. surprisingly cone poodle managed to sleep like a log and hasn't read his no bounce discharge instructions carefully.

OH is also coming home today so having got back with the woofs done the horses i had to go out and shop for the stuff he is supposed to eat. Went to bed 830! Tired doesn't cover it.20240319_102252.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com