March chat

Just done my first scroll on by on a post I saw. (not on here)
The cringe video was a horse pulling a pallet in a field. Baler twine wrapped round the pallet and knotted to the metal at the other end. No quick release or swingle.
All the replies are saying that's wonderful, so I don't want to be the one that points out the dangers, if nobody else can see them either.
Mine is unsuitable for driving so I can see how that would turn ugly if I tried it.

Oh i think i saw that one. Definitely no swingle tree. There might have been some quick release half way along if we were looking at the same video. Ill have another look if i can find it again.

Just been and looked. They dont look like quick release to me.
I was told to always carry a penknife with you when working in harness, so as long as they had one they could quickly cut the bale string.
You can also use it to cut through the harness leather if its sharp. Ive known a few experienced working horse people who said they did that when it really went wrong.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people don't realise how quickly things can go badly wrong in harness.

Ive had first hand experience when it happen to me. It was very quick and very scary.
No fun when the horse pulls the reins out youll hands, spins, whips past, injuring you in the process, galloping off down the road pulling the tyre. Your left standing, wondering which part of town your horse might be heading. Thats probably my worst ever memory for me and Chunky.

I had much the same. Even though daughter is a consultant in the same hospital. But staying immobile in ICU is not the answer. One must sit in a chair if possible and move about post op however difficult as it reduces the chance of blood clots. It took me weeks to feel better.
he was sitting up and walking around in ICU from next day

Mine is a shoot off or spin, I never went beyond longreining as I knew from that she's unsuitable to go further.
You won't get time to cut anything if you are empty handed.

Nope you dont get chance for a knife, instead you end up going round the streets picking up tyres, swingle trees, bits of broken harness and reins.

Mine is a shoot off or spin, I never went beyond longreining as I knew from that she's unsuitable to go further.
You won't get time to cut anything if you are empty handed.

Luka was bred to drive and I do look at him at times and think he'd be jaw dropping driven in the right rig. I'm realistic enough to know he'd need an experienced and good driver though, and would probably never be suitable for a novice which is what I'd be. He's kind and honest and will try his heart out, but he's forward, sensitive and reactive and those are only good traits in the right hands - I'm very happy with them under saddle but would be overhorsed in harness.

Some spring photos for you.
A new black pheasant, look forward to seeing what he/she produces this year. Guessing it will be a she as it was with two others and one chap.

I need to get out more, get a life, but very pleased that my dead piece of wood is alive and producing buds and leaves. It's in the new paddock. Would love to know what it is. Google thinks it's raspberry, no idea!

collage-1710877003809.jpg

Yes one can still need need ICU. Please leave it to the doctors @carthorse and dont worry Dom. The walking and sitting up is to reduce the chance of blood clots and strokes post surgery.

I'd say the fact he was moved out of ICU says the doctors felt he didn't need to be there lol!

Anyone got some happy news. I need cheering up.
Feeling very angry just now having come back from the drs with my mum. I left the practice in tears and i wasnt even the patient. Batting head against a brick wall with nurses and my mother. Not getting the help that she needs. Not being listened too. Getting conflicting advice.

• Sad
Reactions: carthorse
How about this @chunky monkey, last night I took Monkey in the paddock to lunge, and heā€™s Uber lazy normally but since he learnt to jump last week and the jump was still out there he went around frolicking like a little lamb, bouncing, tail wriggling excited to show off his new skill šŸ¤ŖšŸ„°

Iā€™m sorry youā€™re struggling to get the support you need from the doctors surgery.

I had three ideas in a row. I should know myself well enough to know that only one of these if I am lucky will be a good one. šŸ˜‚

First idea, take the cob into the old paddock and lunge, longrein, walk about. They only good idea I had.
Second one was to lunge in walk over three poles. She's not been asked to do that for two years now so the excitement got the better of her and she trotted, cantered and jumped over. Scrap that idea, we aren't meant to be doing that yet! (maybe just put down the one pole in different places next time)

Third idea was my best by far.
I decided to stand in the middle of the muck heap and send her round it, - because that area looked less steep, why oh why didn't I just walk round the heap I can only guess that brain cell wasn't paying attention to the crap idea the stoopid one had. She did go round it at speed as I sank and she then gets the bounces as I get myself back out of it. She's now well and truely lit up so I quit.
šŸ˜‚
She is a good egg really as I am at times totally incompetent and scare myself šŸ˜‚

Sounds like the spring grass might be coming through and adding to some egos.

Thanks im still feeling stressed and head is pounding but i attempted take my mind of it all applying 110% effort at work.

newrider.com